Monday, June 8, 2009

Blog 2: Open Source Software

We have been discussing open source software that we would like to instruct users on. Luckily, I've had the benefit of working on an internship that has given me some hand's on experience with some of the software I recommended. 

1. SugarCRM is a great piece of software. I haven't used it as much as I would like, but it is a software that keeps track of customer relations. I don't know how much it would apply to teachers, but it could be used in more creative ways to manage students.

2. Redmine is a project management and collaboration software. Its really nice and easy to use. Could help collaboration between teachers, or even between students for group projects

3. MediaWiki is a wiki software that enables the uploading of pictures and other rich content. This could DEFINITELY be used by teachers. 

4. Drupal is a framework for quickly designing websites. This could be used to develop a page for the class or students could use it to make pages for their projects

These pieces of software are really well designed and fully take advantage of Web 2.0 technologies. Redmine runs on Ruby on Rails, and the other 3 use PHP. I would highly recommend these for anyone who needs to do any of those things

1 comment:

  1. I like these choices of software as well. I would rather have software and applications such as these in which I would actually learn something. I mean openoffice is great and all, but I already know how to use Microsoft Office, same concept.

    ReplyDelete