Sunday, June 21, 2009

Blog 4: Teaching experiences

I haven't posted anything the last week because I was teaching a course at the Benedict Business Development Center. The course was on "Administering Ubuntu Server," and we taught on it for 1 week. The classes lasted from 9AM - 4PM, however I was leaving at 12 for this class. The class was a pilot class for a new series of classes being offered by Verbus Counts' new company - Pal-Med-Tech. Starting the middle of next month we will be offering courses on Ubuntu Server, C++, Ruby, and Python. I will be responsible for assisting on the Ubuntu Server class, and I will be the main instructor for the C++ course.

Teaching this pilot course was a great learning experience. Myself and the other instructor knew a great deal about the technology, but the teaching portion was something mostly new for us (I taught a lab for Dr.Norris' 343 course in Walterboro last year, but that was only 1 day per week). I was fortunate taking this class - I was able to apply many of the concepts from 444 and 544 to this class. As I'm preparing to teach the C++ course (starting on August 24th), I'm sure I will update on this blog what else I learn

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome Carl! I am happy to see one of my fellow TSTM class members doing it big. Sounds like you have the potential to be a great instructor. I know you do from seeing you perform in some of the classes we took together.

    I sometimes get the urge to become a trainer too. I think later down the line in my career I will become an IT instructor. I don't know what I wanna do yet. Right now I just want to land a job, any job in the IT field. Do you think one day you may become a professor at a University? Is that a goal for you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carl,

    Definitely keep us posted! Let me know if you need anything. Very exciting!

    Dr. Keane

    ReplyDelete