Friday, June 26, 2009

Blog 6: Developing a course

I had mentioned last week that I would start talking about my teaching experiences. We haven't had another class yet, however, I have been preparing for the next classes that will begin soon. I am currently scheduled to teach a Linux administration course in 2 weeks, a course in the Python programming language at the end of next month, and C++ in August.

The most important thing we picked up from doing the dry run on the Linux course was that we had to make all of the segments more modular. As it was, we had parts of our course running together and it made it very difficult for the students to distinguish these parts from each other. I've decided to break it down more, with each topic getting a short presentation followed by 45 minutes of hands on exercise. This will keep the students from losing attention during lectures and will also give the instructors time to prepare for their next presentation

1 comment:

  1. I think this is a great agenda, I enjoyed having an agenda like Dr. Keane did for the workshops. Like you said it helps not lose attention spans and maintains a solid class. I wish I could be part of this class myself, good luck.

    ReplyDelete